The National Water and Sewerage Corporation Managing Director Dr. Eng Silver Mugisha has unveiled plans to boost water supply reliability in Hoima City.
Currently NWSC produces about 2.2 million litres of water per day. The demand for water in the city is about 5 million litres of water per day
Assessing the service delivery levels in the city,
Dr. Silver shared that the corporation is undertaking the following interventions to bridge the supply gap;
1)upgrade of the water treatment process units at Kyarwabuyamba Water works.
2) Laying of a new pumping main to Kikwite reservoir
3) Installation of high capacity high lift pumps
4) Drilling and development of 2 new high production motorized boreholes to augment water production among other works.
“These short term interventions will add over 5 litres of water/day, meeting the demand for clean water in the city.
In addition, plans are underway to construct a new water treatment plant at River Kafu.” he revealed
NWSC to up Service Levels in Masindi
Touring NWSC installations in Masindi, Dr. Silver said that plans to enhance water production and supply at Hoima water works are underway.
“We are challenged by the flooding of River Kiyanja which has submerged some of our installations. Additionally, power challenges continue to affect normal water supply schedules. We are working with our power suppliers to address the power challenge, embark on plant modification works and innovative engineering solutions to address the floods issue and water production capacity enhancement respectively.” he said
In 2017, through plant refurbishment works at Kiyanja water works, NWSC improved water production and supply in Masindi town from 1.8million litres of water per day to over 4.3million litres of water per day.
NWSC is working on a number of projects namely;
- Kampala Water Lake Victoria and Sanitation project: construction of a new water treatment plant and water transmission main.
- Construction of Water and Sanitation infrastructure in informal settlements of Kampala.
- Upgrade Kampala’s water distribution network.
- Water supply and Sanitation expansion for Adjumani, Mbale, Gulu Water Supply Project phase 2
- Water and Sanitation infrastructure for Isingiro, Mbarara- Masaka Areas.
- Upgrade of Kapeeka Water Supply Project, Sembabule Water Supply improvement project, Kiruddu Wastewater Treatment plant, Kapchorwa Water Supply Project, New Soroti Intake at Awoja,Fort Portal Water Improvement project, Buloba Water Supply Project, Package Sewage Treatment plants for Fort Portal and Kisoro among many other ongoing projects in various cities.