The arrest of the prime suspect and commander of a suspected criminal gang accused of aggravated robberies and related murders in the districts of Luwero, Nakasongola, and Nakaseke followed weeks of a painstaking investigation, it has emerged.
Stephen Kisule was arrested on the March 2, 2021 together with Samuel Mawejje, while hiding in Bombo.
Police spokesperson Fred Enanga said the arrests now bring “the total number of suspects arrested to 10 including two female suspects.”
The suspects arrested earlier include Shaban Miga, 22, a resident of Nkonkojeru; Olega Mansur, 35, Rogers Mwanje, 24, a boda boda rider and resident of Buvuma Village; Rashid Yiga, Fred Kiwanuka; Hellen Lutale, Shakira Nakiranda and Robina Ngozi, the wife of Stephen Kisule.
Enanga said the arrests were carried out by a joint force comprising the Police Flying Squad Unit, Special Forces Command, Chieftaincy of Military Intelligence, UPDF’s 1st Division Kakiri and Savannah Regional Police.
He said the searches at their residences led to the recovery of a pistol with two magazines and 17 rounds of ammunition “which they robbed from the Late Major Noel Mwesigye, an SMG gun with two empty magazines, 17 mobile phones, a motorcycle Registration number UEV 185W, Bajaj Boxer Red in colour.”
Commando Mwesigye murder
Maj Noel Mwesigye, one of UPDF’s finest commandos, was ambushed and killed at his farm in Luwero by unknown gunmen in January 2021.
Officials say the murder of Maj Mwesigye, who took part in UPDF’s decisive battles against Al Shabaab in Somalia, unsettled the military establishment.
Many of the UPDF officers who knew Mwesigye told his bereaved family they would give their all to hunt down his killers.
This compelled security, especially military intelligence, to deepen investigations into the murders in central region.
Mwesigye had earlier served as commander of the Commando Unit of Uganda’s elite Special Forces.
ChimpReports understands security chiefs were shocked that with his specialized training, Mwesigye could be easily overpowered and killed by street thugs deep in Masinga village, Kikyusa, Luweero.
This pointed to the existence of an experienced criminal gang which security forces pursued relentlessly for over six weeks until this week when its leaders were apprehended.
Detectives told this website that security arrested some of the suspects who led them to Kisuule.
“The force relentlessly pursued the criminals using the latest tracking technology and surveillance personnel. The President himself was very interested in crushing this gang and regularly obtained progress reports on the investigation,” said a source who preferred anonymity to speak freely.
Officials said now that the suspected killers have been arrested, their collaborators will not be spared.
“The arrest of these gang leaders is a very big achievement in the efforts of the joint security agencies,” said Enanga.
He said the motive behind this wave of gun violence was established to be financial gains.
“They are going to be held accountable for the death of 10 victims and an additional 44 victims of aggravated robbery from the respective districts,” he added.
“We would like to reassure the public that we shall continue working tirelessly to counter all forms of gang crime in our communities. We believe this successful operation will greatly reduce violent crime in the area, and also enable them go about daily activities normally.”
Below is the list of persons which Police say fell victim to “the notorious criminal gang.”
In Luwero District;
On the 14/12/2020, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims;
- Kanabi Henry, a 34 year old businessman of Kitendere Village, Luwero and attacked him while at his shop.
- Najjuuko Jesca, a 24 year old, wife to Kanabi Henry, of Kitendere village and shot her in the left arm.
- Ziribasanga Joseph, a male adult of Kitendere village was shot and critically injured in the stomach. They robbed cash 10.000= from him.
- Nekuze Rosemary a businesswoman of Kitendere village, Luwero was robbed of cash 170.000=
On the 22/12/2020; they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims;
- Namirembe Janat, a 70 year old female peasant farmer, of Tema village Luwero and robbed her of cash 2.5M and a mobile phone.
- Nalubega Sarah, an 18 year old, female student of Tema village, and robbed her mobile phone.
- Muyomba Moses, a 30year old, businessman of Tema village Luwero was robbed him of an unspecified amount of cash.
- Wamala George, a 41 year old, teacher of Tema village, Luwero and robbed him of cash 1,000,000=.
- Muwonge Muhamudu, a 34 year old boda boda rider, of Tema village Luwero and robbed him of his motorcycle, Bajaj Boxer Reg number UEW 289A.
- Moni Brian, a 23year old, male teacher of Tema village, Luwero and robbed his mobile phone.
- Sekajja Godfrey, a businessman of Tema village, Luwero and robbed his mobile phone.
- On the 25/12/2020, it is alleged they attacked and murdered, Musisi John a 55 year old teacher of Mulage village Luwero.
On the 03/01/2020, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims;
- Lubega Ibrahim, a 24 year old, businessman of Kiwanguzi village, Luwero and robbed him of cash 1.800.000=
- Musambwa Justine, a businessman of kiwanguzi village Luwero and robbed her of cash 500.000=
- Nalubega Asuman, a 31 year old businessman of Kireka village, Luwero and robbed her of cash 300.000=
- Were Justine, a 22 year old businesswoman of Kireka village , Luwero and robbed her of cash 2.130.000=
On the 13th January, 2021, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims,
- Nakimbowa Cissy, a 46 year old businesswoman, of Mulage village, Luwero and robbed her of cash 300.000= and a Techno Mobile Phone.
- Bukenya Robert, a 24 year, male adult and resident of Mulage village Luwero, was robbed of cash 60000= and a phone.
- Ereku Fabulous, a 51 year old, Chairperson LC1 Kiryada Village and robbed him of cash 50.000=
On the 17th January 2021, they allegedly attacked the following victims;
- Seruwo Rajab a 43 year old, businessman of Bbumba village, Kyakatula LC1, Kiziba Ward, Luweero of cash 480.000=
- Major Noel Mwesigye, a 47 year old, UPDF officer at Masunga village, Luwero. They shot him dead and robbed his pistol.
On the 27th January 2021, they attacked and robbed the following vioctims.
- Najjengo Winfred , a 33 year old, female mobile money dealer of kasana market zone , Luwero was robbed of cash 550000=
- Musisi George, a businessman of Kabule Town Council, Nyimbwa Sub county, Luwero was robbed of 200 mobile phones and an unspecified amount of cash.
- Ssuna Rajab, a businessman of Kanyogoga Village, Kamira East Ward, and Luwero, was robbed of cash 450.000 and 11 mobile phones.
- Luboyera Juma a boda boda rider of Banjo village, Bombo Town Council Luwero was murdered.
IN NAKASONGOLA DISTRICT;
- On the 18thDecember 2020, they allegedly attacked and killed Nkonge Patrick, a traditional healer, at Namusaala village and robbed his mobile phone.
On the 30th December, 2020, they attacked and robbed the following victims;
- Namukwaya a businesswoman of Kamunina village, Nakasongola and robbed her of an unspecified amount of cash.
- They allegedly shot and injured Kafero George of Kamunina village, who was rushed to Kowoko Hospital for treatment.
On the 31st December 2020, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims from the villages of Kigalambi, Kirooro and Ngoizi in Nabiswera sub county.
- Beingana Mary and robbed her of cash 2,000.000=
- Kaburama Friday and robbed him of cash 700.000=
- Batengeza Fred and robbed him of cash 700.000=
- Busingye Joseph and robbed him of his mobile phone
- Kazungu Geofrey and robbed him of cash 1.800.000=
- Ikiriza Prisca and robbed her of cash 2.300.000=
- Nakyanzi and robbed her of cash 300.000=
- They also shot and injured Kamya Fred, who was rushed to Kiwoko hospital.
On the 28th January 2021, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims.
- Kato Yusuf of Kimaga trading centre, was attacked and murdered, after robbing his motorcycle, Bajaj boxer Reg number UBF 129R
- Sempijja Herbert of Kimaga trading centre, was attacked and murdered.
- Nakagwa Christine, of Kimaga Trading centre, was attacked and murdered
- Nyabutono Scovia, of Kyamukonda trading centre, was robbed of two mobile phones.
- Nalukwago Nuuru, of Kyamukonda trading centre, was robbed of cash 2100.000
- Isingoma Diphas of Kyamukonda trading centre, was robbed of a mobile phone.
- Namirimu Viola, of Kyamukonda trading centre was robbed of cash 670.000=
- Nabukeera Hasfa of Kyamukonda trading centre, was robbed of an unspecified amount of cash.
On the 31.01.2021, they allegedly attacked and robbed the following victims;
- Kayemba Charles, of Kaleire Trading Centre, Nakasongola was robbed of mobile phone and cash 70.000=
- Namubiru Ketty, of Kaleire Trading Centre, was robbed of cash 250000=
- Nakayaga Teopista of Kaleire Trading Centre, was robbed of two mobile phones and cash 250.000=
- Ndarubonye Jean of Kaleire Trading Centre, was robbed of cash 30.000=
- Kamatenesi Jane, of Kaleire Trading Centre, was robbed of two mobile phones.
In NAKASEKE DISTRICT.
The criminal gang allegedly attacked the following;
- Kiviri Herbert, a 29 year old bodaboda rider of Kololo zone, Ngoma town council.
- Ssempijja Henry a male adult of Kasambya-Kito
- Lukyamuzi Edward, a male adult of Kasambya-Kito
- Naluwu Sarah a female adult of Kasambya-Kito
- Kawukyi Lawrence a boda boda rider of Kasambya-Kito was attacked and murdered