The Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary, Dr Diana Atwiine has said that the Ministry is clearing all the risk allowances for frontline health workers which were in arrears.
With the surge in COVID19 cases, the Ministry of Health hired contract workers and volunteers to support staff at Entebbe Hospital which was key in handling COVID-19 patients.
A part from staff and contractors who receive salary and risk allowances, volunteers are entitled to risk allowances.
However, there have been media reports that the health workers last received their risk allowances in January.
The Ministry of Health Permanent Secretary, Dr Diana Atwiine has clarified that they reached a consensus with the Ministry of Finance to use the money meant for another activity to clear all the risk allowances for the doctors.
Atwiine updating President Museveni at the 4th National prayers against COVID-19 at State House, Entebbe on Friday.
“Your Excellency, last year, we received one batch of allowances (risk allowances) for doctors which we paid. But one week ago, we sat with Finance (Ministry of Finance), and they allowed us to use part of the money that was meant for something else which I am now using to pay all of them. So, we are going to sort that out,” she said.
Museveni urged the medics not to slow down the work, saying that risk allowances which are a top up to the salary can be cleared anytime.
“Those doctors should not slow down because hazard allowances which are top up, if they are not paid now, they will be paid later. These people (Ministry of Health) are keeping the money for you in the banks, they will give you your arrears. But also, there is no reason why they should not get their allowances,” he said.